Thursday, August 16, 2007

"You're Official, but..."

This morning I had a meeting in Fayetteville, which was over early, so on the way back to work I stopped at a thrift shop that I always see baby strollers out front. They had SO MUCH hardly used, nice baby stuff...cribs, high charis, boucy things, mobiles, etc.... The prices were not dirt cheap, but certainly better than buying brand new. I couldn't resist, they had the Winnie the Pooh bassinet that I wanted. It was like $135 at Wal-Mart, and this was $50 and looked barely used. I called Ken and asked him if I could get it, and he said sure...:)

Then this afternoon, we got the phone call today from our SW that our official foster parent license from the state came in!! Awesome! We have "the number". We are officially allowed to have Moore Co foster children placed with us! Ken and I were honestly starting to worry if there was a problem with our paperwork, so that is a relief.

BUT....after congratulating us, and calling me "sweetie" and telling me how glad she was that we were "her" foster home now, she told me that she got the request from Cumberland County. She said that her supervisor had a ton of questions....she said Cumberland County didn't tell them anything about the boys or the parents. Our SW said that Moore County would be liable if something happened to one of the boys while in our home, so they are really leary of doing that. Of course she said they'd do what was best for the boys...Cumberland Co DID tell her that they had no homes there that would take all three. My stomach dropped when she started telling me about all the reasons they would not approve it. she said "don't think about it, there's nothing you can do." Don't think about it?! Are you crazy?! She questioned our ability to take the boys and then have to give them back to their parents. I reminded her that we had been told from the very beginning that that is a possibility with ANY DSS child. Am I mentally prepared for that? No. How could you be? But it's a chance we take with any DSS kid, not just these three. Of course we would hope for adoption, but know that may not happen.

So Ken and I are happy about getting our license. I can't get it out of my mind that we're gonna get the boys...Ken has the opposite approach. He thinks they are going to deny it. He's got the better idea. If we don't get them, I'll be crushed, if we do get them. Ken will be pleasantly surprised.

So we sit by the phone and wait...

No comments: